So, I am on day 4 of being 30, and it still feels suspiciously like being 29. I'm working, changing diapers, fixing snacks, removing my wireless mouse from where it was helpfully placed for me in the dryer, and feeling tired- the usual stuff. My entertainment last night was folding laundry and watching the Biggest Loser finale. Apparently, no matter how excited you are about turning 30, no magic light from above shines down and anoints you to start living a more sophisticated or exciting life. You actually have to get off the couch and start taking action- even if you feel exhausted from your 7:00 am workout and watching Yo Gabba Gabba for the 10th time today sounds better than making any sort of physical movement whatsoever.
I know that I can't waste time getting started on my 30 in my 30s list because- as I said in my previous post- I know myself pretty well by now and I know that I am just the type of low-energy person who loses momentum quickly. My original list is on a piece of blue scrap paper and was jotted down in less than an hour's time. This week, I decided I needed to go over it again and refine some things. I want the items on there to be specific and not lame, like "Be healthy!" or "Exercise regularly." I want to pursue measurable results, such as "Run a 5k." And yes, that is a joke, because anyone who knows me knows that I would never put such a ridiculous thing on my list.
I figure if I do 3-4 things off the list each year, I'll accomplish all 30 things in the next decade. However, as I looked at the list, I realized that 6-7 items are cumulative and I'll have to work on them on a consistent basis. For example, Read 120 books. I know that doesn't sound like a lot for 10 years, but I'm making it a minimum goal because I think one book per month is reasonable. I try to do this, anyway. I have a lot less time for reading now that I have Bennett, but it is one thing I have been fiercely holding on to and making sure I do no matter what, even if it takes me a lot longer to get through a novel than it used to. I have moved my "books I want to read" list over to this blog if you are interested in looking at it (see tab at the top of the page).
Right now, I'm not in a book and not sure what my next one will be, but as I read, I'll track my progress here. I spent some time today researching e-readers and specifically, the Kindle v. the Nook. I was so anti-e-reader when they first started coming out. I'm a purist, I told myself. I love actual books and the way they look and feel. Literature belongs on actual pages that you can turn with your fingertips. And besides, I like getting my books from the library and only buying the ones I really love. But... then I started thinking about next month's trip to Cabo San Lucas and how nice it would be to take a 10-ounce Kindle rather than an extra suitcase full of all the books I'm hoping to lie on the beach and read. So...I'm considering it. I'll let you know what I decide. But no matter what, I don't want to live in a world without books on bookshelves. That would just be wrong.
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hey! So excited to see you starting on your list. I echo your e-reader sentiments...but, like you, I'm a fierce reader (must have been our MVCS elem education!) and my husband bought me a Sony Reader last year - L.O.V.E. IT! It's wonderful. Bonus - most of the classics are FREE. Other books are just cheaper. It fits easily in my purse and I take it everywhere. Wondeful. Get one. Get on. Do it!
ReplyDeleteMight I suggest "Blessed Child." It was a simple, fast novel I just finished. I'll bring it to your house when I'm in Hilliard next. :)
ReplyDelete