It's the first of the month, and I have my book review ready. But first I just have to say how excited I am that September is here. I realize it's still technically summer, and Labor Day isn't even here yet, but to me, September 1 has always been the unofficial start of fall. I won't lie- this summer, the first few months of my 30s, has been a very trying season for me. Lots of pain, heartache and frustration in my life and in the lives of people I love. I'm ready for a new season. I know that things have to get better. So, for the unofficial beginning of autumn, I celebrated by putting a fall wreath on my front door today. I just had to have one "fall-ish" thing around.
I'm looking forward to football (especially going to the Ohio State-Miami game next week!), hockey, cooler weather, taking Bennett to the pumpkin patch and dressing her up for Halloween, a cruise with my best friend at the end of the month, a trip to Atlanta to see my cousins, and the Iowa family coming out for Thanksgiving. It should be a great few months coming up.
Now, for my book review. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane was another book I read while we were in Cabo. Historical fiction is my favorite genre, and this novel switches back and forth between modern times and the Salem witch trials of the 1600s. Basically, a contemporary Harvard graduate student finds a lot more than she bargained for in her research and discovers her own family ties to the famous past. It was fine for a beach read, but I can't say that it's a great book. I think the author was attempting to bring a fresh perspective to a well-known event in American history- that perspective being that some of the women really were witches (though benevolent)- but it was kind of lost on me. I like historical fiction that's a bit more grounded in fact and less in fantasy. It wasn't terrible, but there are just so many great novels out there that this probably isn't one to waste time on. I'm into a better book right now, though, so I'll look forward to reviewing it next month.
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment