I'm behind again on my book reviewing. November has been such a busy month so far, it seems like a blur, and I can hardly believe it's half over already. Right after my grandma's birthday party, we took off for a week in Atlanta visiting my cousins. It was so much fun. Bennett & I got back on Saturday and now we are in full-scale catch-up mode getting ready to host the Borich Family Thanksgiving next week. We can hardly wait to see everyone, especially cousin Gretta who will be turning one! We also have a couple household and sewing projects underway which I will post about as soon as they're completed!
This month I have a review for The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff. I read it while Michelle & I were on our cruise last month, and it was pretty absorbing. It's been on my book list for a while, and I just happened to read it right before the Sister Wives shows came on TLC. The whole phenomenon of plural marriage is utterly fascinating to me- its origins and its implications.
This novel follows two stories simultaneously- the story of Ann Eliza Young, Brigham Young's 19th wife who sued him for divorce and exposed many difficult truths regarding polygamy, and the story of a modern-day 19th wife living in a fundamentalist Mormon community and accused of murdering her husband. Her son, the narrator of the story, had been kicked out of the community at the age of 14 for holding hands with a girl. I found both stories good, but I was really interested in the history of Brigham Young and the Mormon church. There were so many things I didn't realize or know. In the end, I'm not sure how great the murder mystery itself was, but overall, it was a good read, well-written, and very informative.
Monday, November 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


great post title.
ReplyDeleteso, is this 100% non-fiction, then.
I find the whole thing extremely fascinating and extremely creepy.
I always look forward to your book reviews!
no, jess, it's a novel! based on fact in the case of brigham young but with a lot of made-up documents, letters, etc. very creative.
ReplyDelete