Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Cookies!

I wish I had more time for holiday baking, but at this time of year, with Bennett's birthday, shopping, working, preparing for travel, etc., there just isn't a lot of opportunity for it. Which is probably a blessing in disguise, since I tend to sample way too much of everything I make and these last 5 pounds of "baby weight" just aren't going away. I did do a little baking over the weekend, though- our pastor and his wife had a Christmas open house so I made a tray of cookies to take to that and thought I would share the recipes. The first is a tried-and-true classic that my mom has been making ever since I can remember:

Double Treat Cookies

½ cup soft butter
½ cup crunchy peanut butter
½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
½ cup sugar
1 egg
½ tbsp. vanilla
1 ¼ cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tbsp. salt
1 (6 oz.) package chocolate chips

Cream butter and peanut butter together. Add sugars. Add egg and vanilla. 
Combine dry ingredients and add to creamy mixture. 
Stir in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded teaspoonful and push down with a fork. 
Leave out chocolate chips if you want a delicious peanut butter cookie. 
Bake 8-10 minutes at 350. Makes about 3 ½ dozen. 

The second was a new recipe that I tried. Ben & I both love anything mint chocolate so I couldn't resist trying this one. I will post it but you can also see it here. I was a little skeptical since I have not used many cookie mixes in the past, but they turned out good and were so easy!

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 pouch (1 lb., 1.5 oz.) Betty Crocker sugar cookie mix
1/2 cup soft butter
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. mint extract (I used 1/4- I've ruined things before by adding too much mint)
4-6 drops green food color (I used too much and they wound up looking like St. Patrick's Day cookies instead of Christmas cookies!)
1 egg
1 cup creme de menthe baking chips (I chopped up Andes candies)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chunks

Heat oven to 350. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter, mint extract, food color, and egg until soft dough forms. Stir in creme de menthe baking chips and chocolate chunks.
Using small cookie scoop or teaspoon, drop dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake 8-10 minutes or until set. Cool 3 minutes; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.
Serve warm or cool completely. Store tightly covered at room temperature.

We are leaving for my parents on Thursday and then off to Iowa on Saturday, not back until January 1, so I'm sure this will be my last post of 2010. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday. Sending you lots of love from the Borich family!

1 comment:

  1. Yum,,,they sound delish!! I love your super cute family pic...just adorable!

    ReplyDelete