I always wanted to give her a vintage-looking room. I'm just not into the matchy-matchy themed things you can get (although that would certainly have made it a lot easier!). My inspiration was thinking about things my grandmothers might have had in their rooms growing up- a wrought-iron bed, needlework art, glass lamps, etc. We started actually working on the room in June, and it is just now to the point where I feel like it's finished enough to show pictures! So, here's a tour:
The right side of the room. The bookshelf is new (from IKEA). It had an ugly, greyish cardboard backing to it, so I chose an old-fashioned looking fabric with tiny roses and we glued it on that backing with spray adhesive. It was dumb to choose something with stripes (because it was impossible to get it exactly straight), but you really can't tell unless you're studying it closely. The big chair belonged to Ben's grandparents and I have to say, even though it might not exactly match the decor, it is awesome to have a full-sized, rocking recliner in her room to use as a reading chair. Here are some closer photos of the bookshelf:
The lamp was mine growing up (I think it belonged to my aunt), the tea cup was my great-aunt's, the little girl figurine was mine and came from the jewelry store where my grandma used to work (Hudson's for anyone from Alton reading this), the little jewelry holder next to it (you can't really see it) was made by my grandmother (she made them as favors for my mom's wedding shower), the glass box held the rings at my wedding, the photos are of my grandparents, the flower art was my great-grandmother's, the teapot was my grandmother's, the beaded lamp was a centerpiece at my wedding, the girl in the yellow dress is actually an old Avon perfume bottle my grandmother had that I loved as a little girl, and the piggy bank is actually new and belongs to Bennett!
All her favorite books she can keep in her room now. The flowers in the basket are my wedding bouquet and the adorable pillow underneath was made by my talented cousin.
This shelf I got for $1.99 at Goodwill and painted white. The books belonged to me (Mr. Flopears and Dumbo), my brother (Scuffy the Tugboat), and my dad (Pete the Tramp and The Flying Sandbox). The Raggedy Ann doll was a gift from my dad to my mom while they were dating. Not sure what will wind up on the hooks but we have snowflakes and old-fashioned Christmas ornaments for now.
The nightstand was mine growing up (I think my mom got it at a garage sale). The milk-glass lamp was also mine growing up and I'm not sure where my mom got it, but it's old. The "Now I lay me..." cross-stitch was in both my brother's and my nurseries when we were babies.
The bed is actually fairly new (also from IKEA). I had a really old Jennie Lynn bed that I grew up on but it was only for a double mattress and we put the queen in this room when we got a king for our room. It is pretty funny having a 2-year-old sleep in a queen bed. We had to buy her a step-stool to get up in it and sometimes when I go check on her, I can barely find her in the midst of all the pillows, blankets, and stuffed animals. The old window came from a building salvage place around here (only like $10!) and we were going to paint on it, but let's face it, I'm not that talented and I don't have the time, so Ben took over the project and ordered vinyl letters from Etsy. I think it turned out pretty cute! I felt a patchwork quilt was a must (I would really like to find an old-fashioned looking chenille coverlet, too, but haven't found anything I like yet), and this one was a gift from my aunt. It isn't easy finding little-girlish bedding for a queen-sized bed, but my mom had a few sets of sheets she passed down to me that look nice. And my parents don't skimp on thread count so Bennett is living in luxury and has way nicer sheets than Ben and I do.
The lace curtains were in my room in high school (and we also used them on the altar at Courtney's wedding :) and all the vintage plates I "borrowed" from my mom's house. She told me where they all came from but I was really pregnant at the time and I can't remember a thing she said. I do know that at least one of them belonged to my great-grandmother.
The needlework art by the closet was done by my great-aunt:
I loved the thought of Bennett having her own Christmas tree in her room. This one belongs to my grandma...I just love these vintage-looking ceramic trees and they make great nightlights:

it's gorgeous! i love it. i had to pull myself together when i was reading about where all the things on the shelf came from...it put a lump in my throat...wasn't expecting that! i love that you have a favor from your mom's shower. that's SO neat.
ReplyDeleteand full size recliners are to die for!
Love all of this! Don't you just adore IKEA? It is my new favorite place to shop... you did such a great job on her room! I'm hiring you to do Emma's room in a few months! :)
ReplyDelete