Friday, June 17, 2011

Food Obsession: Breakfast for Dinner

Why is breakfast for dinner so good?

I could probably have breakfast for dinner at least once a week. I think I love it so much because we rarely take the time to make breakfast for breakfast, except occasionally on Saturdays or when we have out-of-town company. Today, I had chocolate pudding for breakfast followed by handful of sour cream & onion chips. That sounds even grosser when I admit it out loud. Don't worry, Bennett eats healthier- she had a Kashi fruit bar and strawberry yogurt. She tried a sour cream & onion chip, said "I like different chips," then put it back in the bag.

Anyway, one of my favorite breakfast-for-dinner combos is egg casserole and fresh fruit salad. I know there are a million egg/breakfast casserole recipes out there, but I am biased toward my parents', and I really think it's one of the best. Here's the recipe:

Egg Casserole

12-15 slices bread, torn up (I like using white bread)
8 eggs, mixed together 
2 cups milk
3 generous "squirts" of yellow mustard
1 lb. sausage, browned and drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Mix all the ingredients together and spread in a greased 9 x 13 pan. If the mixture seems too dry, you can always add a little more milk. Add more shredded cheese to the top (if you want), and bake at 350 for an hour or so until it starts to turn brown. I think it turns out better if you make it a day ahead and let it "soak" in the fridge overnight. 

I think this casserole tastes SO good with a fresh fruit salad- pineapple, grapes, strawberries, bananas, and oranges or apples. Yum! I try to keep a fresh fruit salad going in my fridge all summer long. 

Another breakfast-for-dinner favorite of mine is chocolate chip pancakes and scrambled eggs with ham- not like a slice of ham on the side, like thin deli ham mixed in with the eggs. So good! What do you like for breakfast-for-dinner?

2 comments:

  1. OH MY! THANK YOU for admitting what you ahd for breakfast. mine are often all-too-similar. and my standards for the way my kids eat are WAY higher than my standards for myself. I think pudding & sco chips sound perfectly fine.

    I can't wait to try that casserole. It sounds good...we like breakfast for dinner too. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat breakfast for dinner often... there is something exciting about it, isn't there? Like you are cheating somehow!

    Our favorites are pancakes, hash browns with hot dogs (strange, right?), eggs with ham (cooked as you described!), egg sandwiches with tater tots, and occasionally cereal if it's late at night and we haven't eaten yet. :)

    ReplyDelete