Wednesday, June 1, 2011

More books and food...

I just wanted to update with a couple new recipes and a new book review before I "reset" myself for a new year of blogging and list-attacking. This past month has been busy with travel and having company, but before all that started, we made a couple of really good new meals. The first was a crock-pot meal I found in Taste of Home for Slow-Cooked Carnitas:

  • 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)- I actually wound up using a package of boneless ribs because I couldn't find a roast in the right size- the meat guy at the store told me it was the same cut of meat in different packaging

  • 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced- I minced it with my new favorite kitchen tool, my Pampered Chef garlic press
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped
  • 1-1/2 cups minced fresh cilantro
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup tequila or additional chicken broth
  • 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
  • 12 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
  • Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped avocado and chopped tomatoes, optional

  • Cut roast in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic, oil, salt and pepper. Add the onions, cilantro, salsa, broth, tequila and chilies. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
  • Remove meat; cool slightly. Shred with two forks and return to the slow cooker; heat through. Spoon about 2/3 cup meat mixture onto each tortilla; serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 12 servings.
Here's a picture of my plate:
The recipe is really good but what makes the meal is definitely your toppings. We had sour cream, avocado, fresh tomatoes, fresh limes, cheese, lettuce, tortilla chips, etc. I will definitely be making this again!

Another delicious and EASY dinner we had recently was another Taste of Home idea. I don't know that it's really a recipe but the combination of flavors was so good.

California Chicken Wraps

  • 1/3 cup prepared hummus
  • 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast- I marinated chicken breast in Greek vinaigrette and then Ben grilled it and we sliced it up
  • 1/4 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers- Instead of buying peppers, I bought a red pepper & cheese coulis spread- it was DELICIOUS!
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves

  • Spread hummus on tortillas; top with chicken, peppers, cheese and basil. Roll up. Yield: 4 servings. This made a really good meal with a side of olives and Sunchips. :)
My weekend trip to Florida with a couple of my best girl friends was the first time I'd really had a chance to travel with my Kindle. A great experience! The only downside is having to turn it off for take-off and landing- at least the flight attendants can't make you put down a regular book. :) For the trip, I had a great read- 31 Bond Street by Ellen Horan:

This novel is based on a true story of murder that occurred in New York City in the 1850s. As is so often the case with a really good historical novel, the setting itself is a central, fascinating character. I absolutely love New York City, so I really enjoy books that are set there, and I also like glimpses into what life was like there during different times in the past. I won't get into the whole murder mystery, but I like it when a book takes you almost all the way through and you still have doubts as to who the culprit really is. This particular work is also a very interesting look into how the legal system worked at this time in our country. A good read I definitely recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment