You might say I've been remiss in my blogging lately, and in my list-accomplishing, and in my changing out of sweatpants, etc., etc., etc. The truth is that having two kids is really kicking my butt, and I haven't even gone back to work yet. I worked so hard to have these few months off with my kids, and one of the things I desired most was to be able to relax and truly enjoy the holidays. I'm really trying, but life right now seems to be one big lesson in reality vs. expectations. What I pictured was a clean house, a freezer full of meals I'd have all fall to stock up on, a family day getting and decorating the Christmas tree, Bennett falling asleep to a CD of Christmas music each night with visions of sugar plums dancing in her head, matching pajamas and stockings for the girls, etc. Reality, however, is that my house is a constant mess (sometimes I think I would give my left arm to have a toy room or a craft room or just another ROOM for all this stuff), Bennett has a double ear infection and strep throat and will currently eat only popsicles, she finds the Disney Christmas CD to be "scary," we have so little time in the evening that we've been trying for 5 days and have only accomplished getting the tree and putting lights on it (who needs ornaments?), no children's clothing manufacturer seems to make matching PJs for a 3-month-old and a 3-year-old for a reasonable sum, and my homemade stockings are looking a little janky (but that's another blog post).
One thing I really wanted to do this year was to create an advent calendar for Bennett. There are so many cute ones available that look like trains or gingerbread houses, but I really have no place to put one and I really have no place to store one. Plus, if you know my daughter you know she would clean that thing out the first day and demand a refill. So I settled on using our banister to create one. I just wish I had a better camera to show pictures of it. I just strung a wired ribbon around the banister and attached with ribbon 24 circles I cut out of Christmas-themed scrapbook paper and punched holes through. On the front of each circle I wrote the number for the date and on the back I wrote the surprise or activity for the day. You know, like "pick up all your toys," "get a flu shot," "give mommy a back rub," etc. All right, I'm not that horrible of a parent. There are fun things on there like going to the indoor water park for her birthday and I also have several Christmas books I ordered through her preschool and Scholastic Book Club (so cheap!) that I am excited to give her. Now if we could only get around to decorating that tree...
Thursday, December 1, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I love your advent calendar idea! I wanted to do one this year also but knew Emma would just pull the whole thing off of the wall, I happened across a Jesse Tree, which I had never heard of, and we are doing that... your idea looks like so much more fun and I love it on your banister!
ReplyDeleteI cannot imagine how big of an adjustment it has been adding another little one into the mix.. I will continue to pray for you in this area!
Very creative advent calendar!
ReplyDeleteAnd I totally get your post...all of it. Megan's arrival kicked my butt, and I am just now (she's almost 14 months old) feeling like I might - for about 36 minutes on every third day - be on top of things. So you're normal, you're doing a great job, and you will find a groove!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteyou're brilliant! wonder if i could have matt build a second story so we could have that extra room you talk about AND a banister! that's a super cute idea.
ReplyDeletei TOTALLY hear you....paragraph 1 could be mine...i feel like my expectations have been rock bottom for a couple years...but somehow i still end up wondering where i'm going wrong.
and it's already december 4th! Christmas might as well be over with how quickly the month is going.
i finally decided the other day that having any kids at all (i thought having 3 did me in--but i realized i've been done in since day 1.) kicked my emotional, physical and mental butt. and i'm not sure i'm going to ever recover. i'm going to be frazzled, fat and crazy for the rest of my life. ;-)
hope you're having a swell and kinda tidy and slow-paced day!
(ps...i deleted my 1st comment to make it make more sense. in case you were wondering.)